Medicine and Veterinary


General Characteristics of Veterinary Product Imports in 2009

In 2009, the total volume of veterinary products imported into the RF reached approx. US$123.3M (193% vs. 2005).

Such product groups as vaccines and ChemPharma products induced similar effects on the change in bottom-line indicators. The actual growth of imported volumes of ChemPharma products amounted to US$41.6M and vaccines - US$39.7M, respectively. The highest proportional growth was noted for vaccines (+435%) and the import volume of ChemPharma products from 2005-2009 increased by approx. 126%.

Dynamics of Imports of the Key Veterinary Product Groups into the RF, US$K


2009 / 2005


+ 126%

+ 41 590


+ 435%

+ 39 703


+ 193%

+ 81 293

Source: Abercade

High growth rates of vaccine imports impacted the overall structure of imported veterinary products. While in 2005 the ratio of vaccines and ChemPharma medicines was 22/78%, by 2008 it changed to 40/60%, and 60% falls on vaccines.
From 2005-2009, the growth rates were uneven. The peaks were demonstrated in 2007 and 2008: +58% и +67%, respectively. In 2009, due to the economic recession and cheapening of the supplied range of goods, the import volume was characterized by negative dynamics (-2% or reduction by US$2.3M vs. the previous year).

A 2%-reduction of the bottom-line indicator in 2009 vs. 2008 was caused by the decline in import of ChemPharma products (-13%), while vaccine imports still demonstrated positive trends (+21%).

During these years, products made by over 50 foreign manufacturers have become available at the Russian market. The leading core (top 10) includes those companies whose aggregate share in 2009 made up 87% of the overall volume of supplies.

1. Intervet International is the largest producer and supplier of veterinary products to the Russian market. In 2009, its products made up 30% of the total import volume. Vaccines are prevailing within the structure of supplies (70%) and the remaining 30% is covered by ChemPharma medicines.

2. The second position in the rating is held by the Group of Companies CEVA:
  •  CEVA Santé Animale S.A.;
  •  CEVA-Phylaxia Veterinary Biologicals Co, Ltd.;
  •  CEVA Vetem S.p.A.;
  •  Lavet Pharmaceuticals Ltd.

In 2009, the Group of Companies contributed about 13% to the import volume. ChemPharma products prevail in the structure of supplied goods.

3. Pfizer Animal Health Company was on the third position in 2009 with the share of approx. 9% of the overall import of veterinary products. ChemPharma products dominate in the structure of its goods imported in 2009 (73%) and the proportion of vaccines was 27%, respectively.

4. The French manufacturer Merial S.A.S. runs fourth (9%) in terms of supplied volumes. Its ChemPharma products make up 51% and vaccines - 49% of the supplied goods.

Except Laboratorios Hipra S.A., other TOP 10 manufacturers supply a single product type to the RF: Invesa, KRKA, Bayer AH, Balkanpharma – only ChemPharma products; Abic BLT – only vaccines (in 2009).

General Characteristics of Import of ChemPharma Products

Over the reviewed time period, the course of import deliveries can be divided into two stages. The first stage was characterized by the so-called “active growth” and lasted from 2005-2008 with the import volume increase of 159%. The following three groups of products served as the main driving forces of import dynamics:

  •  The highest volume growth was demonstrated by antibiotics (from 2005-2008, the growth of imports of this group achieved 140%).
  •  The second significant segment comprises anti-mastitis products. In 2008 their supplies were 4.6-fold higher vs. 2005 (363%).
  •  Anti-parasitic drugs hold the third position. Over 2005-2008 the volume of their supplies increased by 2.4 times (+141%).
From 2005-2008, the overall increase of supplies of the three key groups of drugs amounted to US$44.8M which added 86% to import dynamics as a whole.

The second stage covering 2009 is characterized by the reduction of import volumes. As a result of cheapening of the assortment of supplied products and the decline in supplies of certain product groups, the volume of import of ChemPharma drugs became lower by 13%.

The decreased supplies in 2009 were caused mostly by lower import volumes of anti-mastitis drugs (-27%) and anti-parasitic drugs (-27%). The reduced supplies of other groups of medicines (antibiotics, hormonal and anti-metritis drugs) added only 3% to the overall decline of the total volume.
Source: Abercade
Materials archive
2016 | 2010
April | May

Marketing reports

Developed by - Astronim*
Developed by