Reference: Enzymes are the most effective catalysts of various chemical reactions. The catalytic activity of enzymes exceeds the activity of inorganic compounds by many orders of magnitude.
Enzymes possess other properties underlying their wide range of industrial applications, such as:
• high specificity;
• usually, enzymes do not catalyze side reactions;
• they can be used in very low concentrations due to their high efficiency;
• environmental safety of enzymes.
Enzymatic products are used in various industries – food industry; production of domestic chemicals; light industry; paper-and-pulp industry; agriculture; pharma; different laboratory studies, etc.
In Russia, enzymatic products for agricultural sector are produced by the following two facilities: the Production Association “Sibbiopharm” Limited Liability Company (PA Sibbiopharm LLC) and the Close Joint Stock Company (JSC) “Biotechnological Company “Vostok.” In 2008, the volume of production of enzymatic products for agricultural sector reduced in physical terms by 42% vs. 2007.
The PA Sibbiopharm LLC is a leading Russian facility which has gained a 45-year experience of making microbiological products. The PA Sibbiopharm LLC is an advanced biotech company, matching the requirements of the market and consumers. The company:
• manufactures products based on the technologies ensuring aseptic conditions of the cultivation of microorganisms and automatically maintaining preset parameters;
• implements production upgrades. The volume of investments from 2006 - 2007 achieved about US$ 10M;
• introduces the up-to-date systems of product quality control;
• ensures personnel training in Russia, the U.S, Germany, and Switzerland;
• cooperates with the leading research and academic centers in Russia and abroad;
• provides consulting services to farms in the optimization of feeding regimens, the use of modern enzymatic products, feed antibiotics ant other company’s products.
The PA Sibbiopharm LLC manufactures the following enzymatic products for agriculture: Amilosubtilin G3x, Protosubtilin G3x, GlucoLux-F and CelloLux-F, MEK-CKh-2. Most of the produced enzymes are purified to G3x degree: “G” means that the submerged cultivation was used for obtaining an enzyme producer. “3x” means that the activity of enzymes in the final product is 3 times higher than in a non-purified substrate liquid. In fact, a product with G3x degree of purification demonstrates low enzymatic activities and is inferior in this regard to most of the foreign analogs. In smaller quantities the PA Sibbiopharm LLC manufactures enzymes with higher degrees of purification, e.g. CelloLux-F. Such products have higher fermentation activity and, as concerns their quality, they can compete with numerous enzymes produced by international companies.
The JSC “Biotechnological Company “Vostok” is making the following enzymatic products for agriculture: Amilosubtilin; Protosubtilin and Celloviridin. As a rule, enzymes with the degree of purification G3x are added to animal feedstuff. Besides, such multi-enzyme compositions for animal feedstuff are produced as MEK-CKh-2 and MEK-CKh-3, Multienzyme P, Multienzyme Ya, and Multienzyme U.
Amilosubtilin, Protosubtilin, Celloviridin and MEK-CKh-2 are produced by the both companies - the PA Sibbiopharm LLC and the JSC “Biotechnological Company “Vostok,” while Multienzymes are unique products.
In 2008, the volume of import of enzymatic products for agriculture was by 6.4% lower than in 2007. The compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of enzymatic products for agricultural sector made up 7.1% in physical terms and 12.7% in monetary terms.
In 2008, the volume of export of enzymatic products for agriculture reduced by 75.5% in physical terms vs. 2007. The only exporter of enzymatic products for agriculture was the PA Sibbiopharm LLC. Its exports comprised 19 tons of MEK-CKh-2.
Volume and Consumption
In 2008, the size of the market of enzymatic products for agriculture reduced by 7.5% vs. 2007. The compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of enzymatic products for agriculture was 1.3% in physical terms and 8.6% in monetary terms. The share of import in the total volume of the market of enzymatic products reached 94.0 and 96.5% in physical and monetary terms, respectively. The share of export in the production output made up 16.0 and 21.4% in physical and monetary terms, respectively.
Enzyme Consumption Structure in 2008 (in Physical Terms)
According the estimations made by Research Company Abercade, the share of consumption of enzymatic products for poultry compound feed production in 2008 made up 68.4 and 60.5% in physical and monetary terms, respectively. The share of consumption of enzymatic products for swine compound feed production was 25.9 and 27.0%, and cattle compound feed production – 15.7 and 12.4% in physical and monetary terms, respectively.
In 2008, the top position in the Russian market of enzymatic products for agricultural industry was held by Alltech Inc., whose share in the overall volume of consumption reached 44.0 and 44.6% in physical and monetary terms, respectively. Another company with a significant market share is Danisco AS: 22.3 and 21.3% in physical and monetary terms, respectively. The share of the domestic manufacturer of enzymatic products for agricultural industry - the PA Sibbiopharm LLC made up 6.0 and 3.4% in physical and monetary terms, respectively.
The results obtained in research of the market of enzymatic products for agricultural sector from 2004-2008 demonstrate the following essential features of this industry:
1. The application of enzymatic products with complex activity. It means that a complex of enzymes (multi-enzymatic composition) is used rather than a single enzyme. As a result, a significantly higher efficiency is reached. For a consumer it is important to determine a combination and amount of enzymes individually for each of the different animal categories as well as to know for which type of source materials a product is required, since corn-wheat-soy feed requires one enzymatic complex, while another complex will match barley-wheat-soy feed. Now the Russian market has multi-enzymatic complexes with different combinations of enzymes. Each of the products has individual characteristics as regards enzyme quantity, composition and prevailing activity. Commonly, the combinations include five-seven enzymes or even more.
2. The share of enzymatic products with high activity has increased. The demand for such products usually comes from industrial manufacturers of premixes and compound feed which possess more advanced mixing technologies. It is likely that the development of the domestic production of premixes and compound feed will lead to the growing demand for highly active enzymatic products.
3. About 25% of the total volume of the market of enzymatic products is consumed directly by animal husbandry facilities which own in-house small-tonnage lines for compound feed production.
4. There are some specifics in the promotion of enzymatic products, as some consumers require comprehensive servicing. Instead of purchasing an enzyme, the consumers receive “animal raising” services, i.e. a seller of enzymes has to select and calculate diet, evaluate results of industrial tests, etc.
Source: Research Company Abercade